Sunday, May 8, 2011

Things that make me SQUEEEEE!

As in the Farmers Market. Yesterday was the perfect day for my Craig to yank my ass out of bed at 8am, pour coffee down my throat and shove me into the car. I know it SOUNDS awful, but guys look at these:

Are these not the most gorgeous beets ever? And for $2? YES PLEASE!

Antioxidants anyone?





I have to be honest here and say that I kinda ruined these beauties. I didn't roast them long enough and well, they came out crunchy. So meh on that. However, I think shredding them and putting them on a salad might be interesting. Not that this is news to anyone but USE GLOVES. My fingertips still have that purple hue 12 hours later.









Can I get a what what for strawberry season?! MMMMMmmmmm.....
















Oh what a sacrifice (sarcasm font to be used here) to try every single strawberry being proffered by perky farm teens. "Ya'll want a try a strawberry? Everyone's tastes different!" Indeed. Some were perfect, other's watery and some still hard - harvested too early.



SUGAR!!!!!!!!!! SQUEEE!



And what did I do with the yummy ripe strawberries?

Yes, it's in my fridge. What? The lighting was better!

This recipe came from Cook's Illustrated. If you don't read it I HIGHLY recommend picking one up. They're amazing at telling you HOW they get to the recipe and what inspires it. I love knowing all the ingredients and tinkering they go through before they get to Goldilocks (juuuuust right).

Here's the link: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/detail.asp?docid=27850

Sign up for the 14-Day Trial. Trust me - it's worth it. We go old school and get it on ACTUAL paper. The paintings and illustrations are gorgeous. Plus, I still like something solid that I can hold and get dirty and put notes on. A good friend gave it to Craig as a gift and frankly, I didn't even know there was a site until I looked for the link to share (BAD DIGITAL NATIVE!).

So what did I miss at your farmers market?

No comments:

Post a Comment